Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Ye Olde Partners Page

*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*

"Luckily, I always travel with a book, just in case I have to wait in line for Santa, or some such inconvenience . . ."
--David Levithan


THE FIRST ANNUAL BOOKSTORE OLYMPICS
 
  Howdy folks, I'm Doctor Delay and I'm joined by my colleague Stoner Bill here in beautiful downtown Palm Springs for the debut of the Bookstore OlympicsTM.  You may recall Stoner Bill and I from the cable access show Book Talkers or the short-lived TV reality series The Real Booksellers of Ingham County, but probably not.  However, Bill and I will be launching The New Book Talkers next week, so watch your local cable listings for our first episode.  Before we go to our first event, the Book Cradle 100 yard dash, I want to remind you that this has all been made possible by our sponsor Litter-RobotTM.  Remember: Litter-Robot is the automatic litter box that saves time and really works!  Now over to Stoner Bill . . .

Stoner Bill:  Thanks Double D, we're ready for the first round of the Book Cradle 100 yard dash.  Representing Team Michigan, we have Steve Butts from Schulers Books holding 30 mass market copies of George R.R. Martin's Dance with Dragons (9780553582017) 9.99 in a single stack. This event consists of three rounds, each becoming progressively more difficult with a mass market, tradepaper and then finally, a hardcover heat.  The tradepaper round will feature 20 copies of Jodi Picoult's The Storyteller (9781439102770) 16.00.  The athletes will then be tested in the final round when they haul 15 copies of Janet Evanovich's Takedown Twenty (9780345542885) 28.00.  And now, back to you . . .

  

 Double D: (whispering) Thanks Bill.  I was watching Steve in his warm-ups and I can see why Team Michigan captain Matt Norcross from McLean & Eakin Booksellers has tapped him for this event.  Steve is an interesting blend of power and dexterity.  For those of you at home, the course is lined by precariously balanced bookshelves, they will fall if touched, and the competitor will be disqualified.

Double D:  (louder) I hear the starting gun and there goes Steve.  Man, he's got a great jump.  Wow!  Look at him go.  I can tell you right now that he'll be the one to beat in this round.  He's under ten seconds and that is really unheard of . . .

Stoner Bill:  Uh-oh, it appears that Jay Vernau of Team Ohio and owner of Jay & Mary's Books has thrown his challenge flag.  Puzzling . . .  I'm not sure why.

Double D:  Well, Mr. Vernau has been called the Urban Meyer of bookstore competition.  He can recruit.  His team is stacked with athletes from The Learned Owl, Mac's Paperbacks, and of course, PW's Player of the Year Randy Millot.  I'm sure he has his reasons.  Jay and the ref are heading over to the scorer's table.
(More to come)

Steve training for the Bookstore Olympics

Odds & Sods

It appears that the death of Mike Barton's Harbor Springs, Petoskey, and Bay View (9780980102451) 24.95 has been greatly exaggerated.  It has been reprinted and we have plenty of copies in stock . . .


 As my friend Kevin used to say, "I can't tell a book by its cover, but I can tell if a book is going to sell by its cover."  And no truer words were spoken about Diane Muldrow's Everything I Needed to Know I Learned from a Little Golden Book (9780307977618) 9.99. I could see that this was the perfect cashwrap buy, so how the publisher can be out of stock on this title until December 11 is inexplicable to me.  You may want to backorder . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment