Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Ye Olde Partners Page

*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*
"Everywhere I go I'm asked if the university stifles writers.  My opinion is that they
don't stifle enough of them.  There's many a bestseller that could have been
prevented if they had a good teacher . . ."
                                                                                     --Flannery O'Connor

Dearest Mick--

  As a pip, Chip, my loyal manservant, had ventured onto the intrawebs and purchased a bottle of White Silk 2012, which the label claims was inspired by E.L. James' Fifty Shades of Grey (9780345803481) 15.95.  It also states, '[Our wine offers] floral aromatics of lychee, honey and pear tempered by flavours of grapefruit with a faint hint of butterscotch.'  Humph.  I should have reined in my enthusiasm, but being the intrepid explorer that I am, I instead thumbed my nose at good sense, and apprehensively put glass to lips.  It did not end well.  In fact, Chip is still attempting to remove wine stains from our lampshades, our Plume Blanche Diamond Encrusted sofa, and any other furnishings that were in my immediate field of fire. 


  So when your package arrived via the parcel post, Chip and I certainly welcomed the diversion.  On one hand, I was initially shocked by the premise of Steve Luxenberg's Annie's Ghosts (9781401310196) 15.99, but I will admit that mental health issues were treated quite differently in my youth.  On the other hand, I am pleased that the Michigan Humanities Council has chosen it as the Great Michigan Read for this year.  Point of interest, I was knighted by the Grand Duke of Luxenbourg for saving his life during an avalanche in the French Alps in the 1950s.


  Ten years ago, my friend Mary Casanova wrote the now classic One Dog Canoe (9780374356385) 17.99, so I was pleased as punch that you included her new companion volume, One Dog Sleigh (9780374356392) 16.99.  I am glad that I mentioned our storytime at a nearby fountain with the youngsters of Napoli and this title is definitely apropos.  Also, much like Moliere, Chip has quite a penchant for miming along with the stories, and it needed to be encouraged.



  I also noticed that you snuck in one of your liberal polemics, Reign of Error: The Hoax of the Privitization Movement and the Danger to America's Public Schools (9780385350884) 27.95 by Diane Ravitch into the box.  Well played.  Fortunately, I attended the Deerfield Academy. 
  ("Chip, how many times have I told you not to use $20 dollar bills to light the fire in the fireplace?  Use the $100 dollar bills!  They are not as combustible and they are much better as kindling!")
  As always, I would like to thank you for the care package.    

          
                                                                                   
                                                                                    Warmest Regards,
                                                                             Charles Edmund Wilson III  

Odds & Sods

Mark Twain, my second favourite cantankerous author has a new release, The Autobiography of Mark Twain Voume II (9780520272781) 45.00.  You may recall that two years ago his first volume sold like gangbusters; I don't expect this one to do much worse . . .


 Stephen Hawking, who was the original Hoverround guy and a world reknowned physicist to boot, shares his memories and the genesis of his seminal work, A Brief History of Time (9780553380163) 18.00 in his new autobiography, My Brief History (9780345535283) 22.00.  His nickname in college was Einstein.  Go figure . . .


 

No comments:

Post a Comment