Thursday, September 19, 2013

Ye Olde Partners Page

*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*
"Music is everybody's business.  It's only the publishers
who think people own it . . ."
                                                                                     --John Lennon

Hey boys and ghouls, you're listening to classic rock W4.  Bippity-bobbity-boo, it's Biff Buster yakking at you from my secret location deep in the bowels of the Michigan Capitol building.  Coming up, we'll be motorin' on a 30 minute free ride, but first, Terry McMillan and The Who have something you really want to know:   Who Asked You? (9780670785698) 27.95:

"Who asked you?  Ooo ooo ooo ooo
I woke up on a L.A. roadway
The policemen knew my name
They said, "Rodney, you can sleep at home tonight
If you can get up and walk away . . ."


  Long time fans of the Biff Buster Show know that I have a little Biff Busterette at home, and boy, does she love herself some Sandra Boynton.  When I get home, we start with Snuggle Puppy (9780761130673) 6.95 and move onto The Going to Bed Book (9781442454095) 7.99 and then Doggies (9780671493189) 5.99 etc. etc.  So you can imagine my excitement when I received a copy of Frog Trouble (9780761171768) 16.95 with a CD of Sandra's songs performed by some of music's biggest stars.  They tend to have a C&W bent.  "We've got both kinds of music:  Country & Western."  I'm talking Alison Kraus, Mark Lanegan from The Screaming Trees and Queens of the Stone Age, and the Fountains of Wayne.  What in the heck ever happened to Fountains of Wayne?  And then there's Dwight Yoakam.  You may recall that Mr. Yoakam is the director, producer, and star of one of the greatest movies ever made, South of Heaven, West of Hell.  It's so bad, it's good.   Well, let's give his I've Got a Dog a spin:

"Well, he won't win a prize for being dog-pretty
at a fancy show in the big city.
He's a mix of hound and I-don't-know-what.
A hundred percent pure Junkyard Mutt . . ."


 

  Me too Dwight, me too.  We'll close out this commercial-free block with an obscure gem from John Cale, he of The Velvet Underground from an earlier epoch and Pulitzer Prize winner A. Scott Berg's presidential biography (Mr.) Wilson (9780399159213) 40.00:

"And every time I hear your music,
                                                               You're still thousand of miles away . . ."


Odds & Sods

Ya know, I like to bust on James Patterson as much as the next bookseller.  He's big; he can take it.  But then he comes along and does something that totally screws it up.  If you've read any of the industry rags in the past few days, you've heard that he has established a million dollar fund to help out struggling independent bookstores.  He's putting his money where his mouth is, and I can't help but respect that.  Thanks, James, and keep it up . . .

Maybe I should have gushed more the first time around, but I absolutely loved The Day the Crayons Quit (9780399255373) 17.99 by Drew Daywalt.  I said this was going to be huge before it was cool and Penguin is reprinting.  Order up . . .

  

No comments:

Post a Comment