Thursday, November 19, 2015

THE STATE OF THE HOLIDAY SEASON

Ye Olde Partners Page
*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*
"Use the Force, Harry!"
                                                   --Gandalf, The Trouble with Tribbles

THE STATE OF THE HOLIDAY SEASON
(Sung to the tune of State of Confusion or Father Christmas by The Kinks.)

  There are some literary characters that never go out of style:  Sherlock Holmes is one of them.  With the new season of Sherlock from the BBC due out shortly after Christmas, we are reminded that this devious detective has become the archetype for both real and imaginary sleuths.  This week we received The Sherlock Holmes Book (9781465438492) 25.00, which breaks down Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlockian mysteries case by case.  Shortly, we will have Mike Collins' Sherlock: The Mind Palace Coloring Book Adventure (9780062458377) 14.99, which is based on the BBC show, in stock.  If you can't wait to color Mr. Holmes, we still have copies of Mel Elliot's Colour Me Good:  Benedict Cumberbatch (9780992777753) 13.00 available.  "Everyone and their mum loves him!"  (By the way, we still have a few of Peter Pauper Press' Colored Pencil Sets (9781441314512) 14.99 in the stash.)  Also, two of the most talented actors in my lifetime, Ian McKellan and Laura Linney are starring in the latest addition to the Sherlockian cinematic oeuvre, Mr. Holmes.

 
 

  Speaking of pop culture icons, this Potter kid has been around for awhile now, so they are going to have to mine one of the early guidebooks for material for the upcoming movie prequel.  The title in question is called Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them (9780545850568) 9.99 by Newt Scamander.  (Shhhh!  Don't tell anyone, but we do have some copies in the stash.)  Coincidentally, I saw a Quidditch game on-line yesterday.  It reminded me of beer pong from my misspent youth.  In fact, if I were ever reduced to playing Quidditch, those cups better be full of beer.  At least it would give me the opportunity to drink myself into a stupor to assuage my embarrassment.  And as for the prequel movie, I think Edgar Allan Poe said it best:

"While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly their came a tapping,
As of someone gently rapping, rapping on my internet door.
'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, 'tapping on my internet door --
Only this and Pottermore . . .'"


  Finally, I had a customer ask yesterday, "I know I'm going to say this wrong, but do you have Ar-dee-nas 1944 by Antony Beevor in stock."
  I responded, "Do you mean Ardennes 1944 (9780670025312) 35.00? 
  "Uh-huh."
  "Well, he probably should have just went with The Battle of the Bulge then."


  I grab my deerstalker and my slickers, "Come, Watson, come!  The game is afoot!"

Odds & Sods

We've had a run on the children's title Baba Yaga's Assistant (9780763669614) 16.99, which is nice.  But what really caught my eye was the author's name: Marika McCoola.  Now if that isn't the best author name that I've seen, I don't know what is . . .



First of all, as a former Detroiter, I would like to apologize for Ben Carson.  Just because you're a brain surgeon, it doesn't make you a rocket scientist.  Speaking of Detroit, I have the winner for the best title of the year:  How to Live in Detroit Without Being a Jackass (9780996836708) 19.99 by Aaron Foley.  It is humorous, but it is full of actual practical advice.  Come to Detroit!  It is the Land of Milk and Honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment