Thursday, January 8, 2015

Ye Olde Partners Page

*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been.  The strain
of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our cultural
and political life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that
'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'."
                                                                                 --Isaac Asimov

Dearest Mick--

  I hope the New Year finds you well.  Chip, my loyal manservant, and I welcomed the New Year in our private compound on the tropical island of St. Barts.  I can tell you the young lady Rhianna is truly a sweetheart.  We attended her party and it was a smashing success.  Unfortunately, she now has Chip listening to that hippity-hoppity music and he's wearing his trousers halfway down his arse.  I hope this is just a passing phase.
  I feared Chip would insist on brown bagging it with a bottle of MD 20/20 or heaven forbid, Don Cristobal when we decided to open your box from the parcel post, but once again his good taste has shown through with his choice of a bottle of Henri Jayer Echezeaux Grand Cru.  It is divine.
  I am not familiar with Paula Hawkins, the author of your first choice, The Girl on a Train (9781594633669) 26.95.  I had Chip fire up the old Commodore 64 and look this book up on the intrawebs.  It has already released in England, but it goes on sale on your side of the pond on next Tuesday.  He said there were a lot of comparisons to both Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl (9780307588371) 15.00 and Alfred Hitchcock.  I have not had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Flynn, but Alfie and I became fast friends when I worked as a gaffer on his moving picture The Lodger.  He later used my fear of everything avian in the motion picture The Birds.  I also shared my phobia of flying with a young lady in the 1960s, but that is an entirely different story.

 

I see you have included a copy of that ol' chestnut, A Brief History of Time (9780553380163) 15.00 by my good friend Stephen Hawking.  He is receiving the cinema treatment in the new film, The Theory of Everything.  You may not know that I taught physics at Cambridge for a spell.  I always believed Mr. Hawking could be a promising pupil, but he needed to stop chasing girls and get serious about his work.


  I was not sure how to take your inclusion of Marie Kondo's Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up (9781607747307) 16.99.  I admit that I greet my home just as I would a Shinto Temple.  Also, as you are well aware, Chip is very fastidious.  I'll chalk this up as an error on your part.


  And as always, thank you for your care package.             
                        Warmest Regards,
                        Charles Edmund Wilson III             
                                    
Odds & Sods

Nicholas Sparks, the man whose works of art embody the eternal love between a man and a woman is divorcing his wife of 25 years.  You might want to grab a copy of his latest movie tie-in for Best of Me (9781455556557) 15.00.  I have a feeling his next title may be taking a darker turn . . .


Speaking of New Year resolutions, dieting is probably the biggest one, and so far, it looks like Dr. Phil McGraw's The 20/20 Diet (9781939457318) 26.00 could be (I'll never forget him) the leader of the pack.  We've already sold out of it, but we are expecting more stock soon . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment