Thursday, May 23, 2013

Ye Olde Partners Page

*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*
"Here I am in the 21st century
Have to say it ain't as cool as I hoped it'd be
No man on the Moon nobody on Mars
Where the hell is my flyin' car?"
--Steve Earle, 21st Century Blues
BRAVO presents: THE REAL BOOKSELLERS OF INGHAM COUNTY
(Camera pans Double D's studio library and settles on author James Franco seated between Stoner Bill and Double D.)

Double D: If you read the trade publications, you already know that this is our last episode. Thankfully, our show has been cancelled to make way for The Real Housewives of Calico County. Stoner Bill and I will be heading back to Lansing to seek our fortune. I can't say we've enjoyed this experience, but I can say that we are both a bit smarter and wiser now. Well, at least I am . . .

James Franco: Man, I am so sorry to hear that. I'm a huuuuge fan and I was really looking forward to talking to you about my new book, A California Childhood (9781608872022) 29.99. Sounds like a road trip would be in order.

Double D: No! No road trips. The last one got really weird.

James Franco: Like Hunter S. Thompson weird?

Double D: No, weirder. In fact, we have been banned from the entire state of Wisconsin due to our shenanigans. James, I'd like to introduce you to Stoner Bill. He won't tell you, but he has an enormous man-crush on you.

James Franco: (Shifts uncomfortably in his seat) Really?

Stoner Bill: (Shoots Double D the stink eye) Dude, you weren't supposed to tell him that. Don't listen to him. I'm just a really, really big fan of your work. In my opinion, Pineapple Express should have won the Oscar for both Best Picture and Best Actor. And Freaks & Geeks is like the greatest show evar. Right?

James Franco: (Shifts uncomfortably again) Well thanks, Bill. What are you reading right now? I just finished And the Mountains Echoed (9781594631764) 28.95 by Khaled Hosseini. I thought it was outstanding.


Stoner Bill: Dude, you smell really nice. After our criminal charges in Wisconsin, I've been reading a lot of true crime books. I'm reading True Crime: Michigan (9780811707138) 10.95 by Tobin T. Buhk. I likes a good murder mystery.


(The rest of our enchanced interview with James Franco is available at www.notreallyawebsite.com)

Odds & Sods

In Michigan, it's canoeing season. And the long anticipated third edition of Jerry Dennis and Craig Date's Canoeing Michigan Rivers (9781933272337) 16.95 is now available. This guide is literally the bible for all Michigan paddlers. 'And a voice from heaven declared, "Let the Michigan rivers teem with canoers, and let Jerry Dennis write the attendant book . . .'"


The good Reverend Gerald S. Hunter is back with his latest edition to his Michigan ghosthunting series, Haunted Michigan 3 (9781933272375) 15.95. Both of these titles are must-haves, if you have a bookstore in Michigan.  Natch . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment