"Aomame loved history as much as she loved sports. She rarely read fiction, but history books could keep her occupied for hours . . . "ARTHUR C. CLARKE'S
--Haruki Murakami, 1Q84 (9780307593313) 30.50
AWESOMELY EXTREME QUIZ
Take this Extreme Quiz to a Ph.D Score 1 point for each correct answer on the Freshman Level and 2 points on the Graduate Level.
[e.g., Who won the 2011 Man Booker Prize? Answer: Julian Barnes for The Sense of an Ending (9780307957122) 23.95, which is in stock at Partners.]
1) The title destined to be the bestselling non-fiction book of 2011? Steve Jobs (9781451648539) 35.00 by Walter Isaacson. We will have more stock today.
2) How many hardcover books will be released by James Patterson for this holiday season? Three. The Christmas Wedding (9780316097390) 25.99, Witch & Wizard: Fire (9780316101905) 17.99, and Kill Alex Cross (9780316198738) 28.99 will all be available at fine bookstore near you.
3) Which title by a faux historian will sell the best in 2011? Fox commentator Bill O'Reilly's new book Killing Lincoln (9780805093070) 28.00 is selling in droves.
4) Which title has been compared to Harry PotterTM, most recently? Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus (9780385534635) 26.95 has been favorably compared to J.K. Rowling's series.
5) What is the title of the newest American Chiller? Johnathan Rand's American Chiller #31: Nevada Nightmare Novel (9781893699120) 5.99 arrived here last Friday.
6) When will Stephen King's Dark Tower series be released as a movie? Never.
Scoring: 9 points -- Congrats, you need to get a life; 7 to 8 points -- You're a book nerd, 4 to 6 points -- You're a book dork; 1 to 3 points -- Leave the book industry immediately; 0 points -- Who reads the questions to you?
Odds & Sods
I had read the ARC of John U. Bacon's Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football (9780809094660) 28.00 and I thought to myself, 'This is gonna be huge in Michigan, and especially in the Detroit area.' I was right. Partners is sold out and we're already taking backorders . . .
I was excited to see that August O'Phwinn's Farts Around the World (9781452102818) 15.95 has finally arrived. Most of my co-workers were not so excited. This one is very similar to the now classic Farts: A Spotters Guide. Order yours today, before we squeeze them all out . . .