Thursday, July 15, 2010

Ye Olde Partners Page

*News From the Glamorous World of Bookselling*


"And Daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County,
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay,
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking,
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away . . ."
--John Prine, Paradise
1) THE FOUNTAINS OF PARADISE (1979) . . . I guess our reality is that new books by reality stars do sell well. Kendra Wilkinson, who is best known for being one of Hugh Hefner's ex-girlfriends, now has her own show. It's on the E! channel and it's creatively entitled Kendra. Before you think less of me, as if that's possible, the only reason I know anything about her show is from watching The Soup mercilessly mocking it. Kendra's book is called Sliding into Home (9781439180914) 25.00 and the reprint is due on July 19. Dave posed an interesting question: Is it more likely that Kendra penned her own book or Ozzy Osbourne actually wrote I am Ozzy (9780446569897) 26.99? Hmmmm . . . Now I know Tori Spelling must have written her own book, Uncharted Territori (9781439187715) 25.00 because I saw her go to school on 90210 and she was a really good student. Believe it or not, her title has hit all of the bestseller lists . . .

2) IMPERIAL EARTH ( 1975) . . . Every time I think that The Lego Star Wars Visual Dictionary (9780756655297) 21.99 has run its course - Boom! - it takes off again. We currently have stock, but I can't guarantee that they will be around for long. Also Becky, our esteemed children's book buyer has pointed out that the Star Wars: The Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia (9780756663087) 16.99 flew out of here. Another batch is here and it is already flying out the door. Whenever I see this new Star Wars stuff, I'm reminded of the Bill Murray's lounge singer character from Saturday Night Live singing, "Hey, remember this hit from 1977 . . . Starrrrr Warrrrrs . . . everybody's diggin' those Starrrrr Warrrrrs . . ." Oh, and speaking of nerds, the Queen of the Geeks, Olivia Munn has her new one, Suck It, Wonder Woman! (9780312591052) 23.99. In case you were wondering, Ms. Munn is the star of G4's Attack of the Show and she's a recent addition to The Daily Show. I've also heard that the dust jacket doubles as a centerfold. Allegedly . . .

3) THE HAMMER OF GOD (1993) . . . George Steinbrenner was an internet star before there was actually an internet. His tussles with Billy Martin and Reggie Jackson have become the stuff of legend. We were saddened to learn that Mr. Steinbrenner passed away yesterday. Bill Martin's Steinbrenner: The Last Lion of Baseball (9780061690310) 26.99 could not have been more timely. Unfortunately, my impression of Mr. Steinbrenner will always be linked to George Costanza from Seinfeld. And it's not a favorable one . . .

Odds & Sods

Sleeping Bear Press has a nice, new little adventure series for young adults called I, Q by Roland Smith. I, Q: Independence Hall (9781585363254) 8.95 came out a couple of years ago and we now have the sequel, I, Q: The White House (9781585364565) 8.95. Roland Smith has been compared to an Ian Fleming for teens and so, for all of you who complain there's no books for teen boys, here ya go . . .

Also, Wendy Ulmer's Zero, Zilch, Nada: Counting to None (9781585364619) 16.95 is a cute picture book for the younger crowd. Sometimes math can be fun . . . Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment