Thursday, December 10, 2009

Ye Olde Partners Page

*News From the Glamorous World of Bookselling*


"The merchants will manage the better, the more they are left free to manage for themselves..."
--Thomas Jefferson
Dearest Mick--

Chip, my loyal manservant, and I were awaiting our delivery of SnuggiesTM via the parcel post when, instead, your gift package arrived. I must admit we were a tad disappointed. Surprisingly, it can get quite chilly in Napoli during the winter and these SnuggiesTM seem to be the perfect solution to beat the cold. Alas!

I was elated to see that you had sent a copy of my good friend Andy Williams' book, Moon River & Me (9780670021178) 25.95. I did hear that Andy will be on the wireless with Diane Rehm today. I wonder if he mentioned my appearance on his TV show in his book. You may not be aware, but I did have a brief singing career in the 70s. Tony Orlando had to back out of his time slot due to illness, so Andy called me in to save the day. Of course, my rendition of 'Knock Three Times' nearly brought the house down.

Chip had a hard time removing Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at Home (9781579653774) 50.00 from the box, but I'm sure it will be worth the struggle. Chip is already attaching sticky notes to the recipes that he would like to feature for our next few meals. He can really cook.

I understand my good friend Oprah Winfrey is calling it quits next year. Does this mean we will have to rely on Glenn Beck to make our literary choices in the future? I'll have to drop her a line and see if I can talk her out of this nonsense. Bob Greene, author of Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-diabetes (9781416588382) 26.00 and Dr. Oz, author of You: Having a Baby (9781416572367) 26.99 won't know what to do with themselves. Granted, Mr. Beck has spurred interest in Jason Wright's Christmas Jars (9781590384817) 7.95 and Christmas Jars Reunion (9781606411650) 17.95, but he's certainly not in the same league as Oprah.

Finally, I'm not sure why you sent Jonathan Rand's Freddie Fernortner #10: The Pond Monster (9781893699724) 4.99, but I'm sure there are some nice Italian children who would appreciate a nice gift.

Also, I would like to mention that we have heard about Tiger Woods' 'transgressions' on this side of the pond too. I must confide in you that I am feeling quite hurt. Not only did I teach his father how to golf, but I may be the only person in the world that Tiger hasn't slept with, and I am feeling a bit left out. Oh well, Merry Christmas!

Warmest Regards,

Charles Edmund Wilson III

Rep Round-Up

This week I'm featuring our wonderful Simon & Schuster rep. Leah Hays.

Scott Westerfeld is interviewed and speaks about his latest book, Leviathan (9781416971733) 19.99 in the December 14 issue of Time magazine.

John Gillespie and David Zweig, authors of Money for Nothing: How the Failure of Corporate Boards is Ruining American Business and Costing Us Trillions (9781416559931) 27.00 are confirmed for the Diane Rehm Show on January 21.

Dr. Trachtenberg will launch The Smart Parent's Guide (9781439152911) 16.00 on the Today Show on March 17. Still no help for us dumb parents unfortunately . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment