Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Ye Olde Partners Page

*News From the Glamorous World of Bookselling*


"I got rid of a few things in the governor's office that I didn't believe our citizens
should have to pay for. I put it [the jet] on eBay. I also drive myself to work . . ."
--Sarah Palin, RNC acceptance speech
1) MOULIN ROUGE . . . Sarah 'Do as I say, not as I do' Palin's phony down-home bus tour contnues to jet across the United States to promote her book, Going Rogue: An American Life (9780061939891) 28.99. Of course, her book continues to sell well and we have stock available. In tradepaper, we also have the liberal retort to her bootstrappiness with Going Rouge: An American Nightmare (9780757315244) 15.95. Edited by Richard Kim and Betsy Reed from The Nation, this title is a collection of articles by various left-leaning political writers. Will it be a bestseller? You betcha!

2) COLD MOUNTAIN . . . Ree Drummond, author of The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl (9780061658198) 27.50, has been tirelessly promoting her new cookbook without a Gulf Stream Jet. She hasn't been traveling to her events in a Conestoga wagon, but she's doing her job well enough that we've taken notice and ordered her book. Also, world reknowned chef Michael Symon's Live To Cook: Recipes and Techniques to Rock your Kitchen (9780307453655) 35.00 has done quite well. I hear he's the 'Pride of Clevleand' and he makes great pierogies, too. Finally, as far as cookbooks go, I've noticed that Ms. Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking:Volume I (9780375413407) 40.00 & Volume II (9780394401522) 60.00 are starting to creep out of here again. . .

3) BILLY BATHGATE . . . Colum McCann's Let the Great World Spin (9780812973990) 15.00, which won the National Book Award for fiction, has been rushed out in tradepaper by our good friends at Random House. As if the title itself didn't reinforce the impression, the NBA judges have decided once again that the world, and apparently, good fiction revolves around New York City. Personally, if it's not Jerry, George, Kramer, and Elaine, I'm kinda burned out on the whole thing. . .

4) FAR AND AWAY . . . Two years ago, Loren Long illustrated the winner of the Great Lakes Book Award for children's picture book. I'll be really surprised if his new title, Otis (9780399252488) 17.99 isn't nomimated for the same award this year. Young children will love to hear this story of a little tractor and his friendship with a calf. I gave it for my niece for her birthday and I hear it's her favourite book. Sounds like a winner to me. . .

Lee Booksellers

I found out yesterday that the venerable Lee Booksellers is closing its doors at the end of January. Lee Booksellers has been the premier bookstore in the Great Plains since 1979. Whenever we spoke I could always count on a joke from owner Jim McKee. Generally, I dealt with their long-time buyer Miki. She is one of the nicest people that I've had the pleasure of working with and I will surely miss our weekly conversations. I understand that Jim and Linda Hillegass are both planning on retiring and they've earned it. Without a doubt, the book industry will be a poorer place without their store. I wish everyone on their staff well, especially Miki.
Thanks for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment