Thursday, January 28, 2016

Ye Olde Partners Page

Ye Olde Partners Page
*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*
"I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things . . ."
                                               --Tom Waits

AQUALICIOUS (9780062330161) 17.99 by Victoria Kann
(Sung to the tune of Aqualung by Jethro Tull)

Sitting on a bright beach
eyeing mermaids with good intent
Sand sliding between my toes
nimble fingers taking off our clothes
Drying in the hot sun
watching the kids having so much fun

Aqualicious my friend
Don't start away uneasy
You poor old sod, you see it's only me . . .


1)  WOND'RING ALOUD . . .  I know it's January, but there are some books selling that are not diet related.  For example, we have Alexandra Bracken's Passenger (9781484715772) 17.99 and as Liam Neeson once said, "Release the Bracken!"  This is a young adult title about a concert violinist who is kidnapped and put aboard a time traveling ship with a hunky captain.  It soon becomes obvious that the violinist, Etta Spencer, is a descendant of a chrononautic family and she must maintain their quest to find the missing astrolabe.  In his review, my associate, B. Traven Jr, gave it two thumbs way up. 
  From jewelry to action figures, the Harry Potter franchise continues to issue more and more related product.  The latest addition is a second coloring book: Harry Potter Magical Creatures Coloring Book (9781338030006) 17.99.  We are still selling coloring books hand over fist with no end in sight.  I ask you, "When will our long national nightmare end?"

 

2)  WIND UP . . .  So as disappointed as I was with the first episode of The Shannara Chronicles, I decided to give MTV and Terry Brooks one more try and watch the second episode of the series, which is based on The Elfstones of Shannara (9781101886052) 7.99.  I fell soundly asleep about halfway through it.  Before I dozed off, I turned to my wife and said sarcastically, "You know, none of these guys could act their way out of a wet paperbag, but they sure look good with their shirts off with their washboard abs."  She replied, "Actresses are chosen like that all the time.  Strictly by appearance."  It was an 'Oh, snap!' moment.  And then ten points were awarded to House Aubreypuff . . .


(I was going to riff on Steve Martin's song King Tut, the poor repair job on the broken beard on King Tut's death mask, and Clive Cussler's The Pharaoh's Secret (9780399174117) 28.95, but I have neither the time nor the space.)


Odds & Sods
I know it's difficult to sell a $75 coffee table book this time of year, but if you are in the Chicago area, you might want to make an exception for Mike MacDonald and his new title, My Journey into the Wilds of Chicago (9780996311908) 75.00.  Mike's attention to detail and the vibrant colors of his photography are unsurpassed . . .



Also, if you like rock 'n' roll photography, Janet Macoska shares 40 years of her photos in All Access Cleveland (9780936760384) 25.95.  As Ian Hunter once said, "Cleveland Rocks!"


Yesterday, we were saddened to learn of the passing of one of our national treasures, Abe Vigoda.  Goodnight, Funnyman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment