Thursday, December 3, 2015

PARTNERS EMPLOYEES PLUG THEIR CHRISTMAS PICKS

Ye Olde Partners Page
*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*
"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live . . ."
                                             --George Carlin

PARTNERS EMPLOYEES PLUG THEIR CHRISTMAS PICKS

Charles Edmund Wilson III, Partners investor:  I am excited to learn that Mary Beard's S.P.Q.R.: A History of Ancient Rome (9780871404237) 35.00 has been embraced by a populist audience.  Not since Edward Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire has there been a bestseller of this magnitude on Roman history.  (I am, of course, excluding John Julius Norwich's three volume set on the history of the Byzantine Empire.)  And I should know.  My maternal great-grandfather Henry Charles Howard, 13th Duke of Norfolk was a close confidante to Edward Gibbon, and rumor has it that he assisted with much of his research.  You may also recall the Duke of Norfolk married Lady Charlotte Sophia Leveson-Gower, the eldest daughter of the 1st Duke of Sutherland in the excruciatingly hot summer of 1814 . . . [Edited]


 Stoner Bill, receiving clerk:  Hey dudes and dudettes!  It's only mere weeks until the release of the new Star Wars film, The Force Awakens.  There's a ton of new product out there, but I'm really digging on Bray and Horton's Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know:  Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens (9781465437853) 19.99.  Double D wouldn't agree, he's a Babylon 5 guy.  Also, and it doesn't come out until next Tuesday, but I love me some Dean Koontz, and I just finished his new one Ashley Bell (9780345545961) 29.99.  When it comes to supernatural mysteries, nobody does it better.

 

Doctor Delay, receiving manager:  Holiday titles, eh?  In the hope that it will minimize Bill's dumb questions, I am purchasing Randall Munroe's Thing Explainer (9780544668256) 24.95 as a Christmas present for him.  Personally, the title I want to read is John Irving's Avenue of Mysteries (9781451664164) 28.00.  I have seen him repeatedly compared to Charles Dickens over the course of the past few weeks.  He is no more Charles Dickens than Nicholas Sparks is Ernest Hemingway.  He is his own writer.

 

 B. Traven Jr, site manager / explorer:  B. Traven Jr. here.  I have been exploring the environs of Minnesota in anticpation of my new H2 show, My America, in which I visit different localities with a local celebrity.  For this show, I was joined by the legendary Bob Dylan in Minneapolis.  He brought a recent title to my attention:  Everybody's Heard About the Bird:  The True Story of 1960s Rock n Roll in Minnesota (9780816693191) 29.95 by Rick Shefchik.  Bob, in his own imitable way, had this to say about it, "Mmmm,  herren iss wastern rinnd."  Ha, ha!


Odds & Sods

(Sung to the tune of 'Signs' by the 5 Man Electrical Band)

"Signed, signed, every book is signed . . ."

Bonnie Jo Campbell, the Pride of Kalamazoo, signed copies of her latest collection of short stories, Mothers, Tell Your Daughters (9780393248456) 25.95.  She was wunderbar!


B.A. Shapiro, or Barbara to her friends, popped in to autograph her latest book,

The Muralist (9781616203573) 26.95.  I hadn't realized that her breakout book, The Art Forger (9781616203160) 14.95 was actually her sixth novel . . .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment