Wednesday, September 9, 2015

BARBARA WAWA INTERVIEW: SIR CHARLES EDMUND WILSON

Ye Olde Partners Page
*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*
"I believe that in time we will have reached a point
where we will deserve to be free of government . . ."
                                                                                     --Jorge Luis Borges

BARBARA WAWA INTERVIEW:  SIR CHARLES EDMUND WILSON
(Barbara, Charles, and Charles' loyal manservant, Chip, are all seated in a faux living room drinking wine.  Charles is in his wheelchair.)

Barbara:  Good evening, America.  I am joined to today by presidential candidate Sir Charles Edmund Wilson III, one of the richest men in the world.  And dare I say, one of the world's most attractive men.  Why have you never married?

Sir Charles:  (He shifts uncomfortably in his wheelchair.)  Well, Ms. Wawa, much like former President James Buchanan, I have chosen to remain a confirmed bachelor for most of my life.  I do, however, appreciate your compliment.

Barbara:  Like former Presidents Clinton and Obama, I understand that you are a voracious reader.  What are you reading right now?

Sir Charles:  Since I am running as a candidate for the Grand Old Party, I do not want you to have the mistaken impression that only Democrats read books.  Personally, I find knowledge to be very, very important.  Currently, to get a grasp on the FBI, I am immersed in Lee Child's Make Me (9780804178778) 28.99.  If I am elected President, I will have a worldwide network of Jack Reachers, who will solve any and all foreign entanglements.  To understand the Negro question in America, I just read Between the World and Me (9780812993547) 24.00 by Ta-Nehisi Coates.  It was disconcerting.  I am absolutely flabbergasted that we are still having this conversation 150 years after we fought to end slavery in the Civil War.  However, my paternal great grandfather, General Beauregard Wilson fought for the Union at the Wilderness and he is mentioned copiously in James McPherson's The War That Forged a Nation: Why the Civil War Still Matters (9780199375776) 27.95.  Mr. McPherson is the preeminent scholar of the Civil War.  You may be unaware that he was a student of mine at Dartmouth.  He was a strapping lad . . 

  
.
 Barbara:  Sir Charles, let's get back on track here.  In the Republican Party, intellectualism is frowned upon.  Do you feel you have to, let's say, tone down your intelligence to appeal to your electorate?

Sir Charles:  That is not true.  Our intellectual scion Dick Cheney has written a treatise entitled Exceptional (9781501115417) 28.00.  It is astounding.


Barbara:  If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be? 

Odds & Sods

Finally, just in time for hunting season, we have received the second edition of Scats  and Tracks of the Great Lakes (9781493009923) 12.95 by James Halfpenny.  Now you can identify scat by its appearance rather than other unsavory methods.  I'm looking at you Bear Grylls . . .


Our good friend JD from Penguin Kids popped by today.  And he's excited about a new children's picture book, Mitford at the Fashion Zoo (9780451475428) 17.99 by Donald Robertson.  The artwork is original as is the story.  It could be a good one . . .


Happy Rosh Hashanah!

No comments:

Post a Comment