Wednesday, March 4, 2015

STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR DOUBLE D

Ye Olde Partners Page
*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*
"When a stranger sojourns in your land, you shall not do him wrong.  You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God . . ."
                                                     --Leviticus 19:33-34

STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR DOUBLE D

  I'm worried.  Double D hasn't left his basement since he heard Leonard Nimoy passed away.  He's not answering my phone calls.  It's really bummin' me out.
  I grab a book from the coffee table.  I never go far without a comfort book; they make the best traveling companions . . .  Well, at least next to Double D.  I've picked Neil Gaiman's Trigger Warning (9780062330260) 26.99.  Of course, it's a collection of short stories, which doesn't usually sell well, but it's Neil Gaiman for Chrissakes.  It also has his script from Doctor Who in it and that's the bomb.
  I slam the door behind me, truck on down to Doctor Delay's house, and knock on his front door.  Eventually, his Mom arrives at the door.  She's wearing a robe and slippers with her hair in rollers.  She opens the storm door and I'm engulfed in a cloud of cigarette smoke.  I notice she has a Pall Mall in one hand and a half empty martini glass in the other.  I glance at my watch; it's 11:37.
  I say, "Hey, Mrs. D, I came over to see how the Doctor is doing."
  In a slurred voice soured by thousands of cigarettes she croaks, "C'mon in Bill, he's downstairs."
  In the living room, smoke is billowing from her ashtray like a small forest fire. I suggest, "Gee, Mrs. D, you should really cut back on the smokes.  It's gonna be the death of you."
  I make a mental note to bring a copy of Alan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking (9780615482156) 16.99 on my next visit.
 
 

 He's not downstairs.  In fact, it looks like he left in a hurry.  On his rolling table, which is one of those big wooden pulleys that the telephone company uses to string lines, I see an array of Joseph Heywood titles.  Crap!  Joseph Heywood is always a sure sign Double D is upset.  Harder Ground (9781493009022) 17.95 is a new short story collection.  The other two titles, The Berkut (9781493009046) 19.95 and The Domino Conspiracy (9781493009053) 19.95 are re-releases of spy thrillers he wrote earlier in his career.  However, the really telling clue is on his desk, which was a recreation of Sulu's console on the Enterprise D, a scattering of Star Trek memorabilia is strewn across the tabletop.  Underneath a copy of the DVD, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, I find a sticky note with the address to a funeral in Los Angeles.
  I say aloud, "Oh no, he's going to stop Leonard Nimoy's funeral!"
  Unbeknownst to me, Mrs. D is listening on the stairs, "Bill, think about it."
  I scratch my head, "Oh no, he's going to crash Leonard Nimoy's funeral!"
  "Bingo!"

  

Odds & Sods

I have word on the most exciting news that you are going to hear in the entire month of March:  The new Partners Book Distributing 2015 Great Lakes & Midwest Catalog is here!  You should be receiving your copy in the next few weeks.  Watch your mail! Can't wait? View the catalog online: http://partners-east.com/documents/GLC2015.pdf


From The Chicago Tribune, we have received the memorial edition of Ernie: Mr. Cub (9781629371702) 14.95.  No one epitomized Cubs baseball more than Mr. Ernie Banks.  Every Cubs fan should have this book.


 Dan Santat's The Adventures of Beekle (9780316199988) 17.00, which won the Caldecott Award, should arrive in the next few days . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment