Thursday, October 2, 2014

Ye Olde Partners Page

*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*
"Sometimes, looking at the many books I have at home, I feel I shall die before I come to the end of them, yet I cannot resist the temptation of buying new books.  Whenever I walk into a bookstore and find a book on one of my hobbies -- for example, Old English or Old Norse poetry -- I say to myself, "What a pity I can't buy that book, for I already have a copy at home . . ."
                                                     --Jorge Luis Borges

WHAT IF? (9780544272996) 24.00 by Randall Munroe


  Indeed.
  What if authors were rock stars?  I mentioned in an earlier missive that I was disappointed that S.C. Gwynne's Rebel Yell (9781451673289) 35.00, was not the long awaited Billy Idol biography, but instead, it was merely another book on Stonewall Jackson.  'With a rebel yell, she wanted more, more, more . . .'  Unknowingly, I was not that far off.  Billy Idol's autobiography releases October 7 and it is entitled after his other big hit, Dancing With Myself (9781451628500) 28.00.  His picture on the cover has him with his trademark spiked peroxide hair and lazy sneer.  Ah, the '80s . . .  It was a different time.
  In the case of James Patterson, let's take this conceit one step further.  His latest title Burn (9780316211048) 28.00 brought to mind the hit of the same name by Deep Purple, which wasn't by the classic lineup with lead singer Ian Gillan, but the Glenn Hughes and David Cloverdale incarnation.  That's just not big enough for James Patterson.  I think a better equivalent for him would be Paul McCartney, not Beatles McCartney, but more like Macca from the Wings and Silly Love Songs period in his career.  'Some people want to read silly action and suspense novels.  And what's wrong with that?  I need to know . . .'

  

  And then there's our favourite Prosperity Gospel preacher Joel Osteen, who's new title, You Can, You Will (9781455575718) 24.00 has already hit the bestseller charts.  You may recall a Christian rock band called Stryper, who had a Grammy nominated hit song, Honestly.  Now all we have to do is to get Joel to dress up in a black and yellow spandex jumpsuit.
  Speaking of Christianity, David Limbaugh's Jesus on Trial (9781621572558) 27.99 has been selling like crazy, in fact, we're sold out, as is the publisher.  I really had to wrack my brain on this one.  The best I could come up with was David Limbaugh is to Tom Fogerty, as his brother Rush would be to John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival fame.  I know it's a bit of a stretch.  Fortunately,      for the band Rush, Geddy Lee doesn't have a brother.


  Finally, on a more obscure note, Jeff VanderMeer and Desirina Boskovich's The Steampunk User's Manual (9781419708985) 24.95 releases on October 7, too.  It's bad enough as an author that you're stuck in the sci-fi ghetto, but on top of it, you're in a sub-genre of science fiction.  At best, the most apt comparison would be a local rock band like Lansing's own Hat Madder, but I'll be generous and go with the Dresden Dolls, which you may have at least heard of since the lead singer is married to Neil Gaiman. 'I am the girl anachronism . . .'


  Odds & Sods

'Ahhhh, Mac Attack . . .'  Once upon a time, Michigan State University, before it became a football and a basketball powerhouse, was known as Michigan Agricultural College.  These early days are documented in a sepia coloured collection of postcards in Stephen Terry's new hardcover book, MAC: Campus Life 1900-1925 (9781933272443) 19.95. State alumni are everywhere, so make sure you have this title on tap . . .


 Fantasy author R.A. Salvatore stopped in today to sign copies of his latest Drizzt novel, Rise of the King (9780786965151) 27.95.  I will admit I read a few of his titles in my misspent youth.  They are great fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment