Thursday, September 18, 2014

Ye Olde Partners Page

*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*
"The issues are too important to be left to the voters . . ."
                                                                                 --Henry Kissinger

1)  BUT WHERE WERE THE SPIDERS . . .  I've always been a huge David Bowie fan, so I try to snap up any new biographies that sashay down the catwalk.  Wendy Leigh's Bowie (9781476767079) 28.00 is no exception: I can't wait to sink my teeth into it.  If it's even half as good as Starman (9780316032254) 25.99 by Paul Trynka, it will be reading time well invested.  Ironically, I grabbed Chris Wild's Retronaut: The Photographic Time Machine (9781426213830) 28.00, and who should be lurking on the backcover . . .  The Thin White Duke himself.  I mean, like, what are the odds?

  

 2)  MAYBE THE WINDI(N)GO GOT YOUR BABY . . .  And it's still one of the greatest Seinfeld lines of all time.  However, this time I'm referring to William Kent Krueger's Windigo Island (9781476749235) 24.99, which is the latest in his award-winning Cork O'Conner series.  Fresh from winning the Edgar Award for Ordinary Grace (9781451645859) 16.00, this may just be the national breakout book that he so richly deserves.  Much like Torture Town and Massacre Mountain, this is another geographical location that you probably should not pencil in for your next vacation . . .

 

(Due to time constraints and a preponderance of bizarre Tea Party oriented rants, I've had to edit my latest letter from Sir Charles Edmund Wilson III to the bare minimum before I could share it with you.)

Dearest Mick--

  Chip, my loyal manservant, had just blacked my boots and prepared a delicious breakfast when we decided to fly to Lucerne, as a lark, to visit the duty-free English language bookstore there.  I have been reduced to reading most of the liberal-leaning titles you had sent in your 'care packages' and much like Popilius, I am drawing a line in the sand.  No more!
  First of all, I was pleasantly surprised that my good friend Henry Kissinger had written a new book, World Order (9781594206146) 36.00.  Did I ever tell you about the time I had dinner with Henry and Chilean President Augusto Pinochet? (Ed.: Yes, he has told me this story many times.) . . .  Speaking of former Secretary of States, the book that Hillary Clinton tried to stop, Mitchell Zuckoff's 13 Hours: The Inside Account of What Really Happened in Benghazi (9781455582273) 28.00 made for some riveting reading.  (Ed.: Hillary tried to do no such thing.)  Did you know that I had once served in the Benghazi consulate before the war?  (Ed.:  I did.) . . .
                                                                                    Warmest Regards,
                                                                          Sir Charles Edmund Wilson III    

 

Odds & Sods

You may have heard that the Minecraft franchise was just sold to Microsoft for like a bajillion dollars, and I can assure you that there is no shortage of titles coming in the near future.  In fact, two new titles have just arrived, including: Megan Miller's Minecraft Hacks (9781632204400) 12.99 and The Minecraft Construction Handbook (9780545685177) 7.99.  Check your stock.  It looks like Minecraft isn't going away anytime soon . . .

 


Hockey season is right around the corner, and we have received the new edition of Allen & Duff's 100 Things Every Red Wings Fan Should Know & Do Before They Die (9781600787669) 14.95.  Go Wings!


No comments:

Post a Comment