Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Ye Olde Partners Page

*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*
"I often dream of trains when I'm awake
They ride along beside a frozen lake . . ."
                                                --Robyn Hitchcock, I Often Dream of Trains

THE 2014 GREAT LAKES & MIDWEST CATALOG
(Sung to the tune of 'Last of the Steam-Powered Trains' by The Kinks)


Like the last of the good ol' puffer trains
I'm the last of the ink-stained brigade
I'm still here so I will continue to sing this refrain
I'm the last of the good old fashioned print publisher trades

I'm the last of the regional wholesalers
All our competitors are long gone
But I live in Michigan, so nothing's wrong
I'm the last of the good old fashioned paper catalogs

Like the last word on the ol' written page
Hunt and peck till I type this world away
And I'm going to keep on sellin' till my dying day
I'm the last of the good old fashioned print publisher trades

Like the good ol' puffer trains
I'm the last of the regional brigades
I'm proud of this catalog that Partners made
I'm the last of the good old fashioned print publisher trades

  Partners Book Distributing presents the 2014 Great Lakes & Midwest Catalog.  This dynamite collection of regional titles will amaze your friends and astound your neighbors!  No other catalog has had so many explosive chart toppers!  Who can forget bombshells like Kevin Revolinski's Michigan's Best Beer Guide (9781933272382) 16.95, or the irreplaceable Views of Michigan (9781933272351) 19.95?!  Order yours today!  Call 1-800-336-3137.  Operators are standing by!  But wait, there's more!

 

 Don't forget Partners for your national bestselling book needs!  Trending Up:  Dan Harris' 10% Happier (9780062265425) 25.95 was featured on GMA yesterday.  Anne de Courcy's Fishing Fleet: Husband-Hunting in the Raj (9780062290076) 26.95 received a great review in NYTBR two weeks ago.  Finally, Phil Klay's Redeployment (9781594204999) 26.95 was on this week's cover of the NYTBR and has elicited comparisons to Tim O'Brien's Things They Carried (9780618706419) 14.95.  Order now before it's too late!    

  
 

Odds & Sods
This anecdote should be helpful for every bookstore.  A store owner mentioned that he had a customer looking for a book about George Washington's wife during the Revolutionary War, but couldn't remember the title.  Being the book nerd I am, I said she probably meant Allison Patek's The Traitor's Wife (9781476738604) 14.99, which is about Benedict Arnold's wife, Peggy Shippen.  He said he wasn't sure of the title, so he suggested Andy Weir's The Martian (9780804139021) 24.00 and she bought it.  This bookseller said that this was the third time that someone had come in for another title and he had sold them The Martian instead.  I think there is a lesson to be learned here, but I haven't figured out exactly what it is yet . . .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment