Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Ye Olde Partners Page

*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*
"Books and movies are like apples and oranges.
They both are fruit, but taste completely different . . ."
                                                                                     --Stephen King

Channel 13 Community Access TV Presents:  BOOK TALKERS
(Camera pans Double D's basement and settles on Stoner Bill and
Double D munching on popcorn.)

Stoner Bill:  Hey Dudes and Dudettes!  Welcome to our humble abode and the TV show Book Talkers with your hosts, Me and Double D.  This week we will explore upcoming big screen movies that are based on some of our favourite books.  By the way, I'd like to thank Double D for letting me live in his basement.  My parents kicked me out until I pay off all my legal bills from our Wisconsin fiasco.  They were calling it tough love or something . . .

Double D:  You're welcome, Bill.  But remember, this is not going to be a permanent thing (cocks his eyebrow at Bill).  Okay, let's get started.  I read an article on Buzzfeed called: 16 Books to Read Before They Hit Theaters This Year, and I was flummoxed.  I would actually like to see a lot of these films, and apparently, I'm not alone.  At my real job, we've been selling both Joyce Maynard's Labor Day (9780062313638) 14.99, which stars Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin, and Ron Rash's Serena (9780061470844) 14.99.  Serena features Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, who you may recall starred in a little something called The Silver Linings Playbook (9780374533571) 15.00.  It seemed to do alright at both the box office and the OscarsTM.  And I don't think it would be hyperbole and a half to say that Jennifer Lawrence is the best actress working in Hollywood right now . . .

  

 Stoner Bill:  Amen, my brother!

Double D:  Thanks, Bill.  And how about Gillian Flynn . . . ? 

Stoner Bill:  She was great on The X-Files.

Double D:  (Shakes his head.)  No comment.  She has not one, but two movies due out this year.  They are Gone Girl (9780307588364) 25.00, of course, starring The BatmanTM, Ben Affleck, aaaaand Dark Places (9780307341570) 14.00 with the Acadmy Award winning Charlize Theron.  Anything to add, Bill?

 

Stoner Bill:  I didn't see a mention for The Hobbit: There & Back Again.  I can't wait to see Evangeline Lilly reprise her Elvish babe role.

Double D:  Meh.  You can read about the rest here:  http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/books-to-read-before-they-hit-theaters-this-year  

Odds & Sods

Our good friend Laurie Halse Anderson stopped by on Monday to sign our copies of her latest book, The Impossible Knife of Memory (9780670012091) 18.99.  She told me that this has been the best week of her life.  Not only did she garner an outstanding review in last week's NYTBR, but she realized her dream of being interviewed on NPR.  She also asked that I mention her selection as the second title on the Reblog Book Club.  You can check it out here: reblogbookclub. tumblr.com . . .


Finally, if you're looking for a good kids book on Nelson Mandela, we have just received Pam Pollack's Who was Nelson Mandela? (9780448479330) 4.99. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment