Thursday, January 31, 2013

Ye Olde Partners Page

*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*

"Girl, it's a hard, hard world, if it get you down
Dreams often fade and die in a bad, bad world
I'll take you where real animals are playing
And people are real people and not just playing . . ."
--The Kinks, Animal Farm
BENJAMIN BUN BUN'S BOMBASTIC BOOK BLOG

THIS IS NOT MY HAT
Jon Klassen (9780763655990) 15.99

The word in the garden is that Jon Klassen's This Is Not My Hat won this year's Caldecott Award. I have several problems with this. First of all, the appropriation of other peoples' goods is portrayed in a negative light. For example: Farmer Todd grows a large volume of produce that he couldn't possibly eat all by himself, so it seems fair that I should be able to take a little for myself. In Jon's book, a crab rats out the tiny fish to the big fish, I have my own crab, or should I say dog. Toby the dog has forced me to relocate from the hen house, to the shed, back to the hen house, and finally, beneath the barn. It's really quite a pain. Second of all, there are no bunnies. I will have to penalize it one carrot. Sorry, Jon.

Rating:


THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN
Katherine Applegate (9780061992254) 16.99

We have a bunch of animals in Katherine Applegate's Newbery Award winner, The One and Only Ivan. There's a gorilla who lives in a shopping mall. Once upon a time, I lived in a shopping mall and let me tell you, it was a horrible experience. Waaaay too many people. There's a couple of elephants. And of course, the ubiquitous canine. But wait, there's something missing. Hmmm, what could it be? Oh yes, a #$%$#@ BUNNY! Sorry Katherine, that's a one carrot penalty.

Rating:


CREEPY CARROTS!
Aaron Reynolds (9781442402973) 16.99

Aaron Reynolds wuz robbed! Instead of a mere Caldecott Honor, he should have won the whole enchilada. His book has everything. Bunnies? Check. Carrots, creepy or otherwise? Check. A twist ending? Check. I laughed, I cried. This was obviously the book of the year. That's it! The American Library Association is getting a very angry e-mail from yours truly. No more Mr. Nice Rabbit!

Rating:



Odds & Sods

Rhoda, who is one of my favourite people in the whole, wide world, has forwarded the list of the 2013 Michigan Notable Books to me, and it's quite an eclectic list. Hurry and check it out before Governor Snyder cuts their funding: http://www.freep.com/article/20121230/FEATURES05/312300074/20-titles-selected-as-2013-Michigan-Notable-Books .

We had Lyn-Genet Recitas' The Plan: Eliminate the Surprising 'Healthy' Foods That Are Etc. Etc. (9781455515486) 25.99 came back in late yesterday. Our stock is selling fast . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment