Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Ye Olde Partners Page

*News From the Glamorous World of Bookselling*

"Then she appeared, brittle shooting star that dropped in my lap
Then she appeared, dressed in tricolour and Phrygian cap
I was a little troubled
Hookah with my senses bubbled . . ."
--Andy Partridge, Then She Appeared
STONER BILL & THE PHANTOM PENANCE

"Dude, roadtrip!"

"Roadtrip?"

Hola, folks, Stoner Bill here. Doctor Delay and I are hanging out in his mom's basement, and of course, we're up to our usual mischief. For some inexplicable reason Double D is shoving a book flyer in my face.

I'm like, "Whoa, Dude, stop harshin' my buzz. What the hell is that thing?"

Dr. Delay is pretty antimated, well for him anyway, and says, "Two of my favorite authors are appearing at the same time in the same place. Patrick Rothfuss, author of The Wiseman's Fear (9780756404734) 29.95 and Ernest Cline, author of Ready Player One (9780307887436) 24.00 are both autographing at McLean & Eakin Booksellers in Petoskey."

I snatch the flyer from him, scan it quickly, and say, "Dude, I hope this much awesomeness in one place doesn't cause a disruption in the spacetime continuum."

Dr. Delay is practically giddy, "Dude, so instead of taking more pictures of the stuff in my mom's house and then e-mailing the photos to http://www.crapatmyparentshouse.com/, we can spend the weekend in beautiful downtown Petoskey."

I'm like, "Dude, I wouldn't worry about the photos anymore. We just got the tie-in book Crap At My Parents' House (9781419700736) 14.95 by Joel Dovev and you're not going to top any of the pictures in there."

"Really? Are there disturbing ceramic clown statues?"

"Yup."

"Evil looking stuffed animals?"

"Yup."

"Insanely huge doll collections?"

"Yup."

Dr. Delay shakes his fist impotently at the heavens, "Damn you, Joel Dovev!" he chuckles and then continues, "Really it's no big deal. It will give me more time to read Big Jon's If These Walls Could Talk: Michigan Football Stories from the Big House (9781600786570) 14.95, which just came out in tradepaper."

I say, "Sounds good. I'm going to go home and randomly start calling Barnes & Nobles around the country and see if they have HP TouchPads for $100 each."

"Dude, those HP TouchPads were only at the website. Not in the stores."

"I know. I just need to kill some time before I pack for Petoskey. Roadtrip!"

Dr. Delay smiles, "Roadtrip!"

Odds & Sods

If you want to get in on the ground floor, now is your time to purchase the children's book Acoustic Rooster and His Barnyard Band (9781585366880) 15.95 by Kwame Alexander. We've been down this road a few times before, and we all know what happens next. Ala Bob Dylan and T. Rex, Acoustic Rooster is going to go electric and alienate his original fans. So, pick this up before its too late . . .

Connie Willis' All Clear (9780553592887) 16.00 won the Hugo Award for Best Novel, which comes out in trade- paper in October. I tried reading Doomsday Book years ago, but it just didn't work for me.
Maybe I'll give this one a try too . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment