Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ye Olde Partners Page

*News From the Glamorous World of Bookselling*


"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings . . ."
--Diogenes
Dearest Mick--

Chip, my loyal manservant, and I were betwixt Seasons 2 and 3 of JAG on DVD when your box of new book releases arrived. We put Mac and the rest of the crew on hold, poured a snifter of Henry IV Cognac Grande Champagne, and Chip dutifully burrowed through the box holding up each book for my evaluation. Who says you can't tell a good book by its cover?

Miranda Carter's George, Wilhelm, and Nicholas (9781400043637) 30.00 was the first title that Chip held up and I nearly dropped my silver-plated snifter in surprise. I wasn't sure if you knew I was quite close to Georgie, who later ascended to the English throne as King George V. We both became men while serving on the HMS Bacchante in the Royal Navy. Unfortunately, I could never understand his fascination with stamp collecting.

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter (9780446563086) 21.99? Now, my late grandfather, bless his soul, was a confidant of Abe, and he's never once intimated anything about vampire hunting. Hmmm, Chip says this is historical fiction. Now what kind of poppycock is this? Is this a fad like hula hoops or frisbees but unique to literary circles? Next thing you know, these idiots will be sullying Jane Austen's sterling reputation.

Mick, this was a brilliant choice: The Silent Sea (9780399156250) 27.95 by Clive Cussler. I am sure you were not aware that the Clivester and I were roommates at Dartmouth, and many of Dirk Pitt's exploits were based on my adventures after I graduated from Big Green. He is a class act. In fact, I had Chip make a note to invite him out to the villa.

I see by the tiny stickers on their front covers that you've deigned to send the Barnes & Noble Discover Award winners, also. David Cullen's Columbine (9780446546928) 15.99 was the non-fiction choice. And Victor Lodato's Mathilda Savitch (9780312430030) 14.00 was the fiction winner. I am certain that they are not related, but I did date a Jessica Savitch during the 1970s. Boy, Jessica could really party. On more than one occasion I had to track down my chauffeur to find out how I arrived back at the mansion in one piece. It was a simpler time. Alas, like so many of my friends, she has gone on to a better place.

Well, it appears Chip is ready to dig into the next episode of JAG, and he needs to freshen my drink. I would like to thank you for your generosity, and I hope to see you soon when I am over on your side of the pond.

Warmest Regards,
Charles Edmund Wilson III


Odds & Sods

It's not exactly the Smithsonian Museum, but I spent yesterday walking the hallowed halls of the Michigan Musuem. It's free and it will make you feel proud to be a Michigander. In the meantime, if you can't get to Washington D.C., we have the latest Sleeping Bear title, S is for Smithsonian: America's Museum Alphabet (9781585363148) 17.95 by Marie and Roland Smith. Their book is illustrated by Nick, so of course, the illustrations are outstanding . . .

Julie has alerted me to Tom Angleberger's new kid's book, The Strange Case of Origami Yoda (9780810984257) 12.95 and, well, I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm thinking it will appeal to the 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' crowd . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment