Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ye Olde Partners Page

*News From the Glamorous World of Bookselling*


"Take my rings and trinkets bright,
But leave my eyes which give me light,
My tongue which gives me leave to speak,
The rest is yours and welcome . . ."
--Dave Cousins, The Life Auction
SNOW DAY REDUX

Behold the golden light! Streetlights play upon the pristine folds of gossamer white -- flickering -- the earth softly blanketed beneath crystalline ice. 'I hope it snows all night.' Layer upon layer of snowy flakes falls upon silent houses, trees, and fields. We wake up. 'Yes! It's a snow day! No school!'

The snow continues and children love snow more than anyone else. And admittedly, my choices for kid's snow books were really, really weak in the last Partners Page. Fortunately, Julie, our incredibly gifted children's book expert has come up with some better titles. I should have remembered Jan Brett's The Three Snow Bears (9780399247927) 16.99, which features some of the most intricate and beautiful illustrations that you will ever stumble across (and stumble I did). Snow (9780152053031) 17.00 by Cynthia Rylant was one I hadn't seen before. The story is wonderful and Lauren Stringer's artwork is very stylistic. Finally, the illustrations for Carolyn Fisher's The Snow Show with Chef Kelvin (9780152060190) 17.00 are just plain silly, but hey, I like silly . . .

1) PART OF THE UNION . . . Usually, political tell-all books have a life expectancy of about two weeks at best, but there are exceptions to the rule. Andrew Young's The Politician (9780312640651) 24.99 seems to be one of those exceptions. Not only are we anticipating more stock tomorrow, but Oprah will be featuring Andrew Young and his wife on her show early next week. So, as much as I wish that this whole sordid story would just simply go away, his book will actually get another boost. Yeah!

2) DOWN BY THE SEA . . . I have been intrigued by Martin Scorsese's take on Dennis Lehane's Shutter Island (9780061807404) 14.99 ever since it was initially announced for release last year. The movie trailers look really good. Also, Dennis Lehane's Mystic River (9780380731855) 7.99 was one of the most disturbing and thought-provoking movies I had seen in a long, long time. Whatever your personal feelings about Sean Penn and/or Tim Robbins, those were a couple of the most powerful performances I've ever seen in a movie. And the cast for Shutter Island appears to be just as comparable. Besides, I think they should use Jay Ferguson's Thunder Island as the theme song: "Chasing psychos out on Shutter Island. Do-do-do. Do-do-do. Do-do-do-do-doo . . ."

Odds & Sods

It looks like our friends over at Sleeping Bear Press have come up with a new scheme. They have put together cute little boardbooks for each state. The first three are:
Little Michigan  (9781585364794) 9.95
Little New York (9781585364916) 9.95
Little Maine (9781585364978) 9.95
Pretty cool . . .

Also, I received a copy of Michael Shoulders' Goodnight Baby Bear (9781585364718) 15.95 and the artwork by Teri Weidner is adorable. This title emphasizes the importance of reading in a child's life. I believe that's something we can all get behind.

Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment