Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ye Olde Partners Page

*News From the Glamorous World of Bookselling*
"Wear black for Johnny on February 26th, you will help celebrate what would have been
Johnny Cash's 78th birthday and the release of his last album, American IV: Ain't No Grave.
For a fact, I know Bill Cusimano from Nicola's Books will be attired appropriately . . ."
SNOW DAY

I believe that just about everyone reading this missive has had a bunch of snow dumped on them in the past week and probably wishes they were curled up on the couch reading a book with a cup of hot cocoa right now. Instead, as I dug out my driveway from the snow plow this morning so I could get to work, I kept myself mentally entertained by listing different snow-oriented books. A normal person would have tabulated tropical themed titles, but then I've never been accused of being normal. The first one was written by Orhan Pamuk, my favourite Turkish author, and it's appropriately entitled Snow (9780375706868) 14.95. A major snowstorm cuts the town of Ipek off from the rest of the country during an attempted coup. Mr. Pamuk does not write a bad book, and this title brought him to the attention of readers outside of Turkey.

The snow is so white that it reminds me of the cover of Gil Adamson's The Outlander (9780061491344) 14.99, which is on my girlfriend's wish list. I haven't read it, but I have yet to see a bad review. It is the wintry odyssey of nineteen-year-old Mary Boulton as she flees from the law across Idaho and Montana. Also, the original cover of Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five (9780440180296) 7.99 had a chilling, wintry motif. I don't have any cedars in my front yard, but who can forget David Guterson's Snow Falling on Cedars (9780679764021) 14.95. This one is also set in the Northwest and it is still a favourite of book clubs.

If you're looking for some light reading, there are a couple of Stephen King titles that come to mind. The Shining (9780743424424) 7.99 is a cautionary tale. Don't get stranded in a snowstorm at a haunted hotel, especially if your husband is fighting the demons of alcoholism and insanity. Also, in a similar vein, I wouldn't recommend sliding off an isolated snowy road and being rescued by your #1 fan. Or you may just end up like Paul Sheldon in Stephen King's book Misery (9780451169525) 7.99, kidnapped with a couple of busted legs. Both books are guaranteed to raise goosebumps.

In an attempt to challenge myself, I tried to come up with some snowy childrens' books, too. Of course, for the younger crowd, there is Mercer Mayer's wonderful little spinner book, Little Critter: Snowball Soup (978060835439) 3.99. It is a snowman's preferred dish. There's also that old chestnut Snowy Day (9780140501827) 6.99 by Jack Ezra Keats that sells well year after year.

Well, it looks like I'm just about done here. I guess it's time to go inside, get warm in front of the fireplace, and get to work. See ya!

(Sam mentioned that I forgot Peter Hoeg's Smilla's Sense Of Snow (9780385315142) 15.00 and he would be absolutely correct. Boy, that book was a monster when it was originally released.)

Odds & Sods

A Reliable Wife (9781565129771) 14.95 by Robert Goolrick has provided lots of laughs for me over the past few days. It also has provided a ton of sales, too. This has been our bestselling tradepaper title for the last week or two. Make sure you have stock . . .

Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet (9781605296449) 29.99 has leapt to the head of the class in the diet book category. The diet has obviously worked for her if the picture on the front cover is any indication. She looks almost as svelte as she did in the Aerosmith videos, 'Crying' and 'Crazy' . . .

I never miss an opportunity to highlight Dan Simmons and today is no exception. Dan Simmons has won the Black Quills reader's choice award for Drood (9780316007030) 15.99. It is available in trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment