Thursday, June 25, 2015

Ye Olde Partners Page

Ye Olde Partners Page
*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*
" 'The Man in the High Castle is one of [Philip K.] Dick's most imaginative
and captivating works, and certainly one of my favourites . . ."
                                    --Ridley Scott

1)  A GOOD YEAR . . .  Mrs. Mick and I went to see Jurassic World over the weekend, and if you like dinosaurs and Chris Pratt (and I like both), it was well worth the $21.50 we spent on two 3D tickets.  I had my Archimedes' Eureka! moment as I watched the upcoming movie trailers.  Of course, we weren't in the bathtub like the Greek mathematician, but I have to admit the faux leather lounge seats at the theatre were almost as comfortable.  Someone recently questioned me why there was a huge sales bump in The Martian (9780553418026) 15.00 by Andy Weir.  And there it was on the big screen -- the trailer for the Matt Damon movie.  Eureka!  Mrs. Mick's response, "Why is Matt Damon always stranded in space?"  (We just watched Interstellar.)  I'm sure I said something insightful like, "Yeah, that's just what he does."  By the way, the sales on Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park (9780345538987) 9.99 have picked up, too.

 

2)  KINGDOM OF HEAVEN . . .  We were saddened to learn that James Salter passed away earlier this week.  A writer's writer, he wrote well whether it was poetry, short stories, screenplays, memoirs or novels.  His most recent novel was All That Is (9781400078424) 15.95.  I was watching an old Charlie Rose the other day, and the author he had on (whose name eludes me) said that writing is basically a series of choices.  Whether it was word choices or sentence structure choices, Mr. Salter always chose the right one.  Coincidentally, I finished Mary Norris' Between You & Me (9780393240184) 24.95, which is a great book if you're interested in punctuation or the history of pencil making (I know, I know, why not both?), and one of her first acknowledgments is to James Salter, who allowed her to use their correspondence in her book.  Ms. Norris is impeccable in her writing choices.  Me?  Not so much.  I am not a 'ruggedly handsome landscape architect,' but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.  As Jill pointed out when I referenced Elin Hilderbrand's The Rumor (9780316334525) 28.00, I made a poor choice when I said, '[It] would appeal to romance readers.'  Jill's suggestion of 'women's fiction' was a more apt description, and after hearing her well-reasoned argument, I agreed.  I am not a presidential candidate; I have no problem admitting when I make mistakes . . .

  


3)  SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME . . .  A new title Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget (9781455554591) 26.00 by Sarah Hepola has been getting some buzz.  ( I don't know about you, but when I saw her name and what the book was about, I was immediately reminded of the Winnie-the-Pooh dream sequence with Heffalumps and Woozles.)  I have some words of advice for Ms. Hepola, you really don't want to know what you did when you blacked out.


Odds & Sods

This time of year people ask me questions like, "Hey Mick, what are the hot Great Lakes ship titles right now?"  And I'd respond, "Well, Bob Campbell's Classic Ships of the Great Lakes (9781933272504) 24.95 has been selling.  The new 40th Anniversary of Frederick Stonehouse's The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (9781892384737) 17.95 will continue to sell through November.  And finally, Know Your Ships 2015 (9781891849206) 18.95 has been moving faster than any time in recent memory . . ."


  

 I saw an ad yesterday which said,  'Discover Ideal (9780451473172) 16.00-- Ayn Rand's lost novel.'  And I thought, 'How about No?'


No comments:

Post a Comment