Thursday, April 30, 2015

Ye Olde Partners Page

Ye Olde Partners Page
*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*
"They can keep their Heaven.
When I die, I'd sooner go to Middle Earth . . ."
                                                                                     --George R.R. Martin

1)  A GAME OF THRONES . . .  One thing the late David Foster Wallace and I had in common is our addiction to television.  As he once said, "It's more like it, [TV 's] got to do with this -- here's this easy, passive, I-can-feel-like-other-people-are-in-the-room, but I don't really have to do anything."  I know what he means.  It's addictive.  I have to watch every episode of every show that I get started on.  Right now, my wife has me hooked on Diana Gabaldon's Outlander (9780440212560) 9.99 on Starz.  It's a Scottish version of Game of Thrones and the show runner is Ronald D. Moore, who was the showrunner for the re-boot of Battlestar Galactica and Carnivale.  Since those are probably two of my all-time favourite shows, Aubrey didn't have a hard time selling Outlander to me.  I've also hunkered down with Mark Rylance and Damian Lewis in Hilary Mantel and PBS's Wolf Hall (9781250077585) 16.00.  Mr. Rylance is brilliant as Thomas Cromwell and Damian Lewis as King Henry VII.  It's sort of a Game of Thrones-lite without the gratitous violence and nudity but with the requisite political intrigue.  I like to think it's 'smart' TV.  Whereas with George R.R. Martin's A Game Of Thrones (9780553386790) 18.00, I believe my justification is that since I read the novels, I need to watch the HBO series, and thus, I can say annoying things like, 'Well, it was different in the book' or 'That's not how I imagined it.'  You know it's the same thing we did with Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.   Nobody really likes that guy . . .

  

 2)  A CLASH OF KINGS . . .  Speaking of television, Dana Perino, who was formerly the press secretary for George W. Bush and is currently a Fox News talking head has released her memoir on the grand old days of the Bush administration. It is entitled And The Good News Is . . . (9781455584901) 26.00.  This is the same Dana Perino who said without a trace of irony on national TV, "We did not have a terrorist attack on our country during President Bush's term."  Seriously?  If she can get such a fundemental fact like that wrong, how can I believe anything in her book?  Needless to say, this hasn't stopped it from becoming a huge bestseller amongst the Conservative crowd.  Just tell me what I want to hear . . .


 3)  A FEAST FOR CROWS . . . Don't get me wrong, I still read, but mostly on my breaks or during my lunch at work.  I have found Mary Norris' Between You & Me: Confessions of a Comma Queen (9780393240184) 24.95 to be nearly un-put-downable.  Not only am I learning interesting idiosyncrasies about the English language (and there are many), but Ms. Norris has a wonderful and engaging voice.  In fact, I find it amazing that this is her first book.  Her stories about pronouns and her transgendered younger brother were hilarious.  I hope with the success of this title that we will be hearing more from her in the future . . .

Odds & Sods

Mother's Day is right around the corner and I'm happy to announce that we will have copies of Laura Ingalls Wilder's Pioneer Girl (9780984504176) 39.95 in tomorrow.  As I'm sure you are well aware, the availability has been sporadic at best on this title.  Get yours before they're gone . . .


Our good friend Neal Samors and his co-author Christopher Lynch are back with a new title, Now Arriving: Traveling To and From Chicago by Air -- 90 Years of Flight (9780996141703) 39.50.  This is obviously a must-have title for stores in the Chicagoland area . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment