Thursday, June 12, 2014

Ye Olde Partners Page

*A Collection of Antiquarian Curios & Relics*
"Speaking personally, you can have my gun, but you'll take my book
when you pry my dead, cold fingers from off of the binding . . ."
                                     --Stephen King, author of Mr. Mercedes
                                      (9781476754451) 30.00


1)  THE RUNNING (WO)MAN . . .  I would like to believe that Hillary Clinton's Hard Choices (9781476751443) 35.00 will be a blockbuster bestseller, but I remain unconvinced.  When people buy memoirs, they're buying them to see if the author is dishing any dirt.  And then they buy accordingly.  Hillary may or may not be running for President, but either way, she's not going to reveal where the bodies are buried.  This book has been vetted through so many hands there can't possibly be anything that could be even vaguely controversial.  So far, the only thing that has been questioned by the media (and The Right) was the comment that Bill and she were dead-broke after Bill's presidency.  If that's the most outrageous assertion in her book, then I expect sales to be fair to middling.  This is what we were really hoping for:

  Vince Foster was staring at the wrong end of a .44 Magnum.  The end of the barrel looked like a black, unblinking eye.  It appeared just as uncaring as the face behind the gun, which belonged to one Hillary Rodham Clinton.
  Hillary said in a clipped staccato, "I know what you're thinking Vince.  You're thinking 'did she fire six shots or only five?'  Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in our little run through the forest.  But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and it will blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?'  Do ya?"
  His tear-stained eyes implored her, but try as he might, no sound would escape his lips.
  She cocked the hammer on the gun,  "Sorry, Vince.  These are the hard choices I have to make.  Do I shoot you in the head or the heart?"
  A shot rang out and Vince slumped forward in the seat of his car.
  "I guess I'm going with the head shot."

Now I'd buy that book . . .


2)  JOYLAND . . .  This is the place my wife went when she received her copy of Diana Gabaldon's Written in My Own Heart's Blood (9780385344432) 35.00.  She has been waiting for the 8th title in the Outlander series for five years and innumerable delays.  So you can imagine her excitement.  Starring John Heffernan, Nell Hudson, and Caitriona Balfe, the Starz television series based on Outlander (9780440212560) 9.99 debuts on August 3.  This means that this title will have some legs and we will be selling her backlist as well.  We have already sold out of the first shipment, but we should have more stock next week . . .   

 

Odds & Sods

"Dada ding ding ding ding."  I have absolutely no idea what Sam Kean's new book, The Tale of the Dueling Nerosurgeons (9780316182348) 27.00 is about, but I just love the title.  It immediately conjured up an image of two slit-eyed doctors with whirling scapels performing neurosurgery side-by-side on a Southern shack's wooden porch.  Or stethoscopes.  Definitely stethoscopes.


We were saddened to learn that children's author and illustrator of The Spot series, Eric Hill passed away at the age of 86.  I still remember reading Where's Spot? (9780399207587) 12.99 to my oldest daughter, and barring the machinations of a mad scientist, I will have those memories forever . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment