Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ye Olde Partners Page

*News From the Glamorous World of Bookselling*

"Welcome in a son of Clovius Boofus
Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan song
Idiot son of Donkey Kong and I say,
'You don't have to be afraid, luv
'Cause I'm a safe surfer, darlin . . . "
--Julian Cope, Safe Surfer
careening down the steep slope of my stream of consciousness

As the American economy is sucked into a downward spiral and as Congress tries to remove all the safety nets for the elderly and the ill who are hurt the most by it, I am instead barraged by the inanity of pop culture: Trump trumpeting the release of Obama's long form birth certificate (Thanks, Donald, that one was keeping me awake at night), exactly who was voted off of Dancing with the Stars, and, of course, William & Kate'sTM impending nuptials. Aha, the Royal WeddingTM, there's a book tie-in. Did you know that Kate Middleton used The Dukan Diet (9780307887962) 26.00 to go from a grossly obese 125 lbs. to a very sleek 120 lbs.? Her mother introduced her to the diet and it's all the rage now. We should have some stock by tomorrow . . .

Apparently, I am not in the right demographic for Bethany Hamilton's Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board (9781439165799) 14.00 because not only is it a book but also a movie, and I had never heard of her. I checked out the cover and then realized that Bethany was the young surfer who lost her arm in a shark attack. Right now, this is probably the hottest title in the YA market except for Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games (9780439023528) 8.99, Catching Fire (9780439023498) 17.99, and Mockingjay (9780439023511) 17.99 trilogy. We should have more of Bethany's book in a day or two . . .

And then I see this:









Oh, for cryin' out loud. You're not helping Fox News . . .

Odds & Sods

In the land of cookbooks, Gwyneth Paltrow's My Father's Daughter: Delicious, Easy Recipes Celebrating Family & Togetherness (9780446557313) 30.00 is the hottest title by far. I think I'll go home, prepare a dish from her new cookbook, and pop on the CD soundtrack for 'Country Strong.' We still have limited stock . . .

Thunder Bay Press is proud to announce the release of Michael 'Can You Keep It' Kleen's Haunting Illinois (9781933272290) 12.95. This has to be the most detailed travel guide to haunted locations that I've ever seen. You know the guys on Ghost Hunters do it, so now get off your butt and do it yourself . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment