Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ye Olde Partners Page

*News From the Glamorous World of Bookselling*


"So there's a great life lesson in [Eat Pray Love] for all of us: When this old world starts getting you down, just shirk all your responsibilities and run away, and everything will turn out fine. And if Italian pizza and Javier Bardem are out of your price range, there's always Papa John's and the flirty delivery boy to make your life complete . . ."
--TheOpinionatedB at www.rantrave.com
Dearest Mick--

Chip, my loyal manservant, and I were awaiting the delivery of the new Justin Bieber™ CD when, instead, your collection of suggested reading material arrived. Unfortunately, there was not a Justin Bieber™ biography in the box, so I guess Chip will have to wait on his tattoo. He claims the Clay Aiken tattoo on his arm is lonely and needs a friend. As you may have surmised, Chip does have quite an imagination.

According to your enclosed letter, you said that Stieg Larsson's trio of books, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (9780307454546) 14.95, The Girl Who Played with Fire (9780307454553) 15.95, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (9780307269997) 27.95, are the 'hottest things in the universe.' I understand that the Swedish film versions of the first two books are available, so I have asked Chip to brush up on his Swedish. I am not a big fan of subtitles. Speaking of Swedish films, I was cast to play Death in Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Deal, but I broke both of my legs in a freak polo accident a day before filming was to begin and I had to pass.

Your next selection Sam Kean's The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales etc. etc. (9780316051644) 24.99 appears intriguing. I really enjoyed Theodore Gray's The Elements (9781579128142) 29.95 which seems to be the ideal companion for the stories in Mr. Kean's book. I know my good friend Madame Curie would have relished it. If only she had realized the dangers of radiation. God bless her.

Chip is excited about S. C. Gwynne's Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker & the Rise and Fall of the Comanches (9781416591054) 27.50. Sometimes he likes to dress-up in buckskin and play the Tonto to my Lone Ranger. It harkens us back to a simpler time. "Hi-ho Silver!"

I see that Carl Hiaasen has a new one, Star Island (9780307272584) 26.95. I have always savored the hijinks implicit to any of Mr. Hiaasen's books. From what I gather, the main character's name is Cherry Pye, which reminded me of that song you used to sing all the time when you were a young lad. I had Chip google it on his laptop and he believes I am referring to the song 'Cherry Pie' by the band Warrant. It does have a catchy hook. Once again, thanks for the books and I hope to see you soon.

Warmest Regards,
Charles Edmund Wilson III

Odds & Sods

Glittering vampires are back! Stephenie Meyer's Breaking Dawn (9780316067935) 14.99 is now available in a tradepaper edition. Anne Rice, the person who we can blame for emo vampires, has fallen back into her pagan ways and is planning on resurrecting Lestat in her next book. I have to admit that I am curious.

We also have the new Thunder Bay Press book, Sooper Yooper: Environmental Defender (9781933272269) 17.95 by Mark Heckman & Mark Newman. Sooper Yooper battles exotic invasive species in the Great Lakes. This is a great book for children to learn about these creatures who endanger the future of our lakes.

 
Call Partners First!  800-336-3137

No comments:

Post a Comment