Thursday, January 7, 2010

Ye Olde Partners Page

*News From the Glamorous World of Bookselling*
"People say that life is the thing,
but I prefer reading . . ."
--Logan Pearsall Smith
1) LAST SONG . . . When I was a wee lad and just starting out in the book business, I have to admit I thought the Kirkus Review was entirely fictional. Sure their blurbs were on the backcovers of a lot of books, but I'd never actually seen an issue of their magazine. Eventually, many years later, I saw a copy of their magazine at the local library and I thought, "Wow, the Kirkus Review really does exist!" And with so many icons of the bookselling business falling by the wayside as of late, I was a bit distraught to see a week or two ago that this unabashedly positive bastion was shutting down for good. Now it appears, however, that word of their death has been greatly exaggerated. According to Shelf Awareness, there is a buyer in the works and Kirkus Review will be up and running once again. Finally, some good news . . .

2) VICTIM OF LOVE . . . For some inexplicable reason, Stephenie Meyer's mass market version of Twilight (9780316038379) 7.99 has really started selling this week. My guess is that readers who were sort of interested in the series but were waiting until after the holidays are beginning to purchase it. It would stand to reason that her mass market edition of New Moon (9780316075657) 7.99 will begin to sell soon, too. My favourite in her series is still the Harvard Lampoon's tradepaper parody, Nightlight (9780307476104) 13.95. But that's just the way I roll . .

3) CROCODILE ROCK . . . JD, our Penguin guy wanted me to remind you that we still have a few signed copies of Anthony 'It must be Prince Spaghetti Day' Howowitz's Crocodile Tears (9780399250569) 17.99 and Patricia Polacco's January's Sparrow (9780399250774) 22.99 in stock. Also, January's Sparrow has an African-American theme, and it should be a good seller for Black History Month (Februrary). Also, Jasper Ffforde is popping in today to sign our copies of his latest novel, Shades Of Grey (9780670019632) 25.95. As usual, it will be first come, first served . . .

4) KISS THE BRIDE . . . Just when I thought it was safe to go into a bookstore, Elizabeth Gilbert is back with her paean to betrothal, Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage (9780670021659) 26.95. I will never forgive Ms. Gilbert for subjecting me to her movie Coyote Ugly, but even I must admit that she sells books. Lots and lots of books. No word on an Oprah appearance yet, but make sure you're well-stocked on this one . . .


Odds & Sods

It's beginning to feel as if there are just as many big releases from major authors right after the holidays as there were before the holidays. A case in point: Anne Tyler's Noah's Compass (9780307272409) 25.95 was originally scheduled to come out in September, but due to the glut of releases, the publisher chose to push it back until this week. What do you say about Anne Tyler? Her books are always a treat. I like character-driven novels and I would hazard to say that Ms. Tyler is the 'Queen of Characters.' Try her out . . .

Also, January is 'Buy A Diet Book' month. Right now, Jorge Cruise's Belly Fat Cure (9781401927189) 19.95 seems to be the hottest one . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment